This vibrant veggie and avocado pizza is the ultimate vegetarian pizza recipe, starring bell peppers, fresh basil, and creamy goat cheese!
After 4 trips to Italy and over 10 years of research, Alex and I can finally say we’re homemade pizza experts. We’ve created our own master recipes for perfectly chewy and crispy crust and tangy tomato sauce. We know how to get those beautiful char marks (our fancy oven). While the classic Margherita pizza is our specialty, there’s a new favorite in town: this California veggie and avocado pizza! It’s full of colorful veggie toppings: peppers, tomatoes, red onion, and dollops of soft goat cheese. Top it all off with that vegetable (or fruit!) darling: the avocado.
Related: Homemade Pizza for Beginners | Best Goat Cheese Recipes
The secrets to topping this veggie & avocado pizza
This veggie and avocado pizza is a take on the “So Cal” pizza served here in Indianapolis at Jockomo’s. When a dear friend asked us if we could create a pizza inspired by the So Cal, we jumped at the chance. It turned out incredibly colorful and totally delicious, due to the genius combination of flavors and textures. Here are the toppings on this veggie and avocado pizza:
- Easy homemade pizza sauce: our “famous” pizza sauce makes a savory base
- Mozzarella & goat cheese: Creamy, tangy goat cheese dollops contrast gooey mozzarella
- Bell peppers & red onion add beautiful colors and a crunchy texture
- Fresh basil adds a peppery herbaceous note
- Avocado seals the deal (or even grilled avocado)
In all our years of making artisan pizza, this veggie & avocado pizza one is our favorite toppings. It’s a tasty way to eat an avocado…as if you needed another one! Speaking of, we’ve started an informal tradition of pizza night on Thursdays instead of Fridays! It’s been a nice way to celebrate almost making it to the end of the week. How about you – do you have any pizza traditions?
Related: Homemade Pizza Recipes | What’s the Best Pizza Stone? | Pizza Topping Ideas
How to make pizza dough
For the dough for this veggie and avocado pizza, we’ve got several recipes that you can make depending on your tastes and equipment! Here are our best methods:
- Pizza Dough Master Recipe is our best method that results in a classic, crispy yet chewy pizza crust! You can use a stand mixer, but you can also knead it by hand.
- Easy Thin Crust makes a similar dough, but you roll it out into thinner crust.
- Quick Pizza Dough in a Food Processor: This one is quicker than the first two, and uses a food processor to knead the dough.
Making pizza dough is all about watching a master show you how it’s done! Below is a video of Alex showing how to make and stretch the pizza dough!
Looking for artisan pizza recipes?
This veggie and avocado pizza is one of our favorite artisan pizzas to make at home. Here are a few of our other best homemade pizza recipes:
- Perfect Neapolitan Pizza
- Spicy Vegetarian Diavola Pizza
- Mushroom Pizza with Fresh Herbs
- Best Ever Taco Pizza
- Breakfast Pizza
- Veggie Supreme Pizza
- Homemade Cheese Pizza
- Mediterranean Pizza
- Artichoke & Cherry Tomato Pizza
- Loaded Mexican Pizza
- Our Best Vegan Pizza
- Egg Pizza with Scallions
- Italian Pizza with Pesto
- Best Anchovy Pizza
- Easy Calzone Recipe
- Homemade Easy Pizza Sauce
- KitchenAid Pizza Dough Recipe
- How to Clean a Pizza Stone
- Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
Related: Want a quick pizza dough without yeast? Rye Pizza Dough Cracker Crust
This veggie and avocado pizza recipe is…
Last updated: November 2019