This is the best green bean casserole recipe! A 5-star recipe made from scratch with fresh green beans, mushrooms and no cans of cream of anything!
The Best Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This easy green been casserole is always a hit with our friends and family on Thanksgiving and if you read all the 5 star reviews below, you will find that this is a reader favorite as well! I make it every year and our holiday table just wouldn’t be the same without it. It beats out the classic Green Bean Casserole recipe made with canned ingredients, by 100 miles.
I promise, I don’t say it’s “THE BEST” lightly. So many people have made and loved this recipe, year after year, and have now added it to their must make Thanksgiving side dishes line up!
This casserole, as a whole, really doesn’t take long to put together. It takes maybe about 25 minutes and then it’s ready to go into the oven. It is also the perfect make ahead Thanksgiving side dish that can be prepped and refrigerated the day before. The combination of the freshest ingredients and extra crispy fried onions will make this the most popular Thanksgiving side dish on your holiday table, every time!
An Easy Green Bean Casserole Made From Scratch
Aside from the french fried onions, this fresh green bean casserole is 100% made from scratch. No canned ingredients here! Instead, we use simple ingredients to make a cream of mushroom soup. (This sounds more complicated that it is, I promise it’s super easy!) Then we toss tender, freshly cooked green beans in our homemade cream of mushroom sauce. To finish it off, we top our casserole with a little layer of bread crumbs and french fried onions.
Everything in this green bean casserole is from scratch, except the french fried onions! I have tried making my own fried onions in the oven, but every time I try it, it’s a big waste of time. The onions are never as crispy and the flavor is just not the same. Store bought french fried onions cannot be replaced and are the best topper for this green bean casserole recipe!
Green Bean Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients in this recipe are classic, simple and come together to make the best green bean casserole ever. Seriously! Here is what you’ll need:
- fresh green beans
- portobello mushrooms (or baby bella mushrooms)
- yellow onion, diced
- fresh garlic, minced
- half and half (or substitute the half and half by combining 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
- chicken broth
- all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- bread crumbs, optional but a delicious addition
- french fried onions
How to make green bean casserole in 4 easy steps!
- BLANCH THE GREEN BEANS: The first step is boiling the green beans in water until just starting to become tender, then quickly cooling them down in ice water to stop the cooking process. This gives your green beans the perfect texture without becoming soft!
- MAKE THE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP: Sauté onions and garlic in butter till softened, then add mushrooms and salt and pepper. Sauté a few minutes more and add flour, stirring to combine. Add chicken broth and half and half and cook until thickened.
- COMBINE: Toss the blanched green beans in the mushroom sauce and transfer to a large casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and french fried onions.
- BAKE: Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes, until bubbly.
Tips for the Best Green Bean Casserole Every Time
There are two key tips to making this the best green bean casserole recipe, ever.
- Use fresh green beans. They have the best overall flavor and texture and make your green bean casserole a stand out on your Thanksgiving table. Aunt Sharon’s canned green bean casserole will pail in comparison to your show stopper!
- Make homemade cream of mushroom soup. That might sound daunting, but I promise it’s very easy to do! By making your own homemade cream of mushroom soup, the flavor instantly jumps to an insane new level. You can swap the portobello mushrooms for any other meaty mushroom that you prefer, however portobellos have a classic flavor.
What if you don’t like mushroom soup? If you aren’t a mushroom fan, you can double the onion in the mushroom soup recipe and make a cream of onion soup to use in your green bean casserole. A lot of non-mushroom lovers do this and have left comments below on how delicious it still is! However, if it’s just a texture thing, chop the mushrooms extra finely and you won’t even know they are there!
How to Make Ahead of Time
This green bean casserole recipe is a wonderful make ahead Thanksgiving side dish and it also travels very well! I usually prepare it a day or two before Thanksgiving to save me time on the actual day. It stores perfectly in the fridge for up to 48 hours before baking.
To make this green bean casserole ahead, complete all the casserole steps until it’s time to put the bread crumbs and french fried onions on top. Save those to be added fresh, so they do not get soggy. Store the prepared casserole in the fridge, wrapped tightly with saran wrap or foil.
Then about 30 minutes before you’re ready to bake it, allow the casserole to sit at room temperature to warm up some. Before baking, top it with the bread crumbs and the layer of french fried onions on top and bake according to recipe directions!
This Green Bean Casserole recipe has a few more steps than the classic green bean casserole recipe that’s on the back of the Campbells Green Beans can, but I promise it is SO worth it.
After you try this recipe, please make sure and leave a comment or review below on how it turns out for you and your family! ENJOY!
Best Green Bean Casserole Recipe
The Best Green Bean Casserole Ever: this amazing 5 star recipe is made from scratch with fresh green beans, mushrooms, half and half and no cans of cream of anything!
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1.5 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 6 oz french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish, set aside.
- Blanch the beans: In a large pot, bring about a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Add the green beans and boil for 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Canned Green Beans: If using canned green beans instead, drain green beans completely and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Then add the half and half and simmer until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in all of the green beans. Transfer green bean mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the bread crumbs and then layer the french fried onions on top. Place casserole in the oven and bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes. If your onions start to brown too quickly, cover the casserole with foil. Serve immediately!
MAKE AHEAD: You can prepare the casserole up to 48 hours ahead of itme. STOP at step 7 in the directions above. Do not top casserole with bread curmbs and french fired onions. Instead, wrap cooled casserole tightly with foil or saran wrap and store in refridgerator. When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator and let rest at room temperautre for 30 minutes before baking. Then continue on with the directions from step 7.
I am an Amazon affiliate member and I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
- Freezer-to-Oven Safe 9×13 Glass Baking Dish
- Cuisinart Stainless12-Quart Stock Pot with Strainer Insert
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 209Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 2188mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Looking for More Thanksgiving Recipes?
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Corn Casserole
- Cranberry Orange Relish
- Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- Fried Apples
- Instant Pot Turkey
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- Best Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Pie Crisp
- Sweet Potato Pie