The BEST chocolate cupcakes that are super soft, rich and topped with a lush buttercream frosting! You won’t believe how easy these are to make!
If you’re a chocolate lover, you’re going to swoon over these homemade cupcakes! They are rich, moist and have an amazing chocolate flavor. You’ll also love my chocolate fudge caramel brownies, chocolate turtle poke coke, triple chocolate chip cookies and better than anything chocolate cake.
My husband has claimed (on more than one occasion) that these are the BEST chocolate cupcakes he’s ever had. My friend brought them over a couple months ago and we literally both gasped! They were so soft and full of chocolate goodness, we couldn’t just stop at one! Since that day, we’ve made this recipe about 3 times and plan to make it many more!
And to tell you the truth, I’m usually not a chocolate cake fan. I mean, I LOVE chocolate, but for some reason I’m just not a huge cake lover. These cupcakes definitely changed my mind though! I’m telling you… they are that good. The secret ingredients are the pudding mix and sour cream! The flavor is fantastic.
These cupcakes are so easy and flavorful…you would never know that they are made with a cake mix base! No fancy ingredients like buttermilk or cocoa powder needed. And the secret ingredients that makes them SO delicious are the dry pudding mix and sour cream…they both help to make them so moist and soft!
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Chocolate Chips
- Canola Oil
- Warm Water
- Sour Cream
How to make chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line cupcake liners in 2 muffin pans.
- Combine cake mix and pudding mix in large bowl. Then add in the chocolate chips (this prevents them from sinking) and stir until combined.
- Next mix in the eggs, canola oil and water. Then stir in sour cream.
- Pour cupcake mixture into liners (about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on cooling rack. Wait to frost until cooled completely.
My favorite frosting to use is my classic buttercream frosting. The creamy and sweet flavors from the buttercream pairs wonderfully with the rich chocolate cupcake flavor. There are plenty of other frostings that taste delicious though…below are a few of my go-to’s.
- Classic buttercream: This buttercream frosting is my absolute favorite! It tastes amazing & holds up so well.
- Chocolate buttercream: If you’re a big fan of chocolate, you’ll love using this chocolate buttercream. It is seriously so divine!
- Cream cheese frosting: The flavor in cream cheese frosting in incredible. It’s rich, creamy and pairs perfectly with this delicious dessert.
- Peanut butter frosting: Peanut butter & chocolate make the best combo! And adding peanut butter frosting is a match made in heaven.
- Caramel frosting: Adding caramel frosting is such a fun twist! I love to use it when making my Cadbury chocolate cupcakes for Easter.
TIP: I typically use a 1m tip to frost my cupcakes. It’s so quick and easy! Want a step by step tutorial? Click to learn how to frost the perfect cupcakes.
How long before I can frost cupcakes?
You definitely need to let your cupcakes cool completely prior to frosting them. I usually let them cool for about an hour just to be safe. Sometimes even though the tops of the cupcakes have cooled off, the insides are still a bit warm. If you frost them while they are still warm, the frosting can melt. So it’s important that they are completely cooled so that the frosting holds it’s shape!
What makes a cupcake moist? In order to make moist chocolate cupcakes, it’s important to use the oil, sour cream and pudding mix. I like to use oil instead of butter, because it has a higher fat content which makes for a moister texture. Also the acidity in the sour cream adds more moisture, while the pudding mix helps to make the texture irresistibly soft.
How to fix cupcakes that sink? If they sink, you may have over-mixed them. You want to stir until the batter is combined, however do not overmix because it can cause too much air to get into the batter. You could also try mixing the chocolate chips in with a little bit of flour to help them not sink.
How do you store after baking? If you’ve frosted your chocolate cupcakes, you’ll need to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If unfrosted, they can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Both should keep for about 1 to 2 days.
Can I make them a day ahead? Sure! If making this recipe ahead of time, hold off on adding the frosting. Make according to directions, let cool then store overnight at room temp in an airtight container. You can also make your frosting ahead of time and store in a zip top bag in the fridge. Then frost the next day when ready to enjoy!