Homemade Pasta Sauce is one of our all time favorites and perfect served over any type of pasta from spaghetti to Baked Rigatoni!
I’ve made this literally hundreds of times and it’s perfect every single time with tender meat and a silky flavorful sauce!
This is hands down the BEST homemade pasta sauce I’ve ever had and even better, it’s healthy!
- Meat – This recipe uses either lean ground turkey or beef. You can substitute your favorite ground meat
- Seasonings – The real secret lies in the spice mixture. The combination may seem a little bit unusual but they’re the same seasonings I put in my homemade sausage patties! Delicious!
- Sauce – Canned tomatoes provide great flavor and are a staple in Italian cuisine. Choose a good quality as this is the base flavor for your sauce. Water is added to the sauce to give all of the flavors a chance to blend.
Flavor Tip: Add the seasoning mix into the meat before cooking (I do the same with chili) to ensure every bite is full of flavor. Cook the meat with onions and garlic.
I find that using a meat chopper tool not only does it make the meat the perfect texture, but it also can help chop the tomatoes slightly (in fact, I never make any ground meat without it)!
The longer you cook this homemade pasta sauce, the thicker it will get so cook it as long as needed. If it gets too thick, reserve some of the pasta water when you drain your pasta and add it to the sauce.
Leftovers: As with most tomato based recipes, this is just delicious leftover if you’re lucky enough to have any… I usually double (or triple) the recipe and freeze the leftovers for a quick quick weeknight meal!
Tips For Perfect Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Seasoning: Mixing your seasonings into the raw meat infuses flavor into every bite. Don’t forget to salt your pasta water too.
- Meat: While I use ground turkey or beef, substitute some or all of it for veal, pork or sausage.
- Time = flavor. In the case of this delicious homemade pasta sauce recipe, the flavor changes and is incredible after it’s simmered for at least one hour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter just before serving to add a bit of richness to your sauce.
Add some fresh herbs at the end for a nice fresh flavor (basil and parsley are favorites)!
I’ve served this over spaghetti but as you’d expect, this homemade meat sauce is very versatile. It’s amazing used as a sauce for homemade lasagna or if you’d like to keep it low carb, serve it over spaghetti squash or Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles)!
Of course this goes well with Homemade Garlic Bread and an Italian Salad!
More Italian Inspired Favorites
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Bucatini Amatriciana
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Pasta