These flavorful grilled chicken fajita skewers are the perfect summer meal! Get all of the flavor of chicken fajitas without heating up the house!
Chicken kebabs are perfect to serve at a Summer BBQ. I love to serve this with a side of Homemade Coleslaw, Pasta Salad or Potato Salad.
Is there anyone who doesn’t love a chicken skewer fresh off the grill? They are one of my favorite easy meals! I love the combination of tender chicken, crisp peppers and onions. They’re fancy enough for a date night in, but easy enough for a busy weeknight.
Since it has been pretty hot in my neck of the woods lately, we’ve been doing a lot of grilling outside, and it finally occurred to me that I could make my beloved chicken skewers on the grill! I marinated the chicken in my favorite marinade (see below for the recipe!), threaded it onto skewers with some fresh vegetables, and grilled them to perfection. They turned out totally amazing, and were even easier than making them on the stove!
Grilling chicken on the barbecue is so easy! These chicken skewers are so simple to make for a crowd. Just give everyone their own skewer, or add a stack of warm tortillas and set out your fajita toppings, and you are all set! You can easily scale the recipe up or down, depending on how many people you are cooking for.
Grilled Chicken Marinade
I’ve tried a lot of chicken fajita marinades, but the one I used with these skewers is my very favorite! It’s super simple to make, and adds a ton of flavor. To make the marinade, just mix a packet of fajita seasoning with 1/2 cup of zesty Italian dressing. So easy and so delicious! I’ve found the fajita seasoning packets in the grocery store with the dry sauce mixes, or next to the taco seasoning.
How To Make Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Cut the chicken breasts into smaller bite-sized pieces and then place them all into a large Ziploc bag
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the fajita seasoning and Italian dressing together
- Pour the marinade over the chicken in the bag and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes (the longer you let the chicken marinade, the more flavorful it will be)
- Cut the vegetables into smaller bite-sized pieces
- Thread the chicken onto metal skewers and alternate with the bell peppers and onions
- Grill the chicken skewers on the barbecue until the internal temperature has reaches 165 degrees F
- Serve alone or with a warm batch of flour tortillas
How Long Do You Grill Chicken Kebobs
I will typically grill these chicken skewers for about 1o minutes on the barbecue. Keep in mind that the necessary cooking time will vary depending on the type of grill you’re using. Just keep an eye on them because they’ll cook pretty quick but you don’t want to burn the vegetables either or over cook the chicken and have it dry out.
To be sure it’s fully cooked, you can open a couple of pieces to make sure there’s no pink on the inside. You can also use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken has reached 165 degrees F.
More Easy Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Fajitas Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Easy Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Maple Dijon Chicken
Best Chicken Skewers Recipe
These chicken fajita skewers are a new favorite at our house, and I’m sure we’ll make them on repeat all summer long! Leave us a comment below and let us know if you made these delicious chicken kabobs or tag us on social media so we can see all of the fun you’re having while grilling these at your next barbecue.