Are you looking for a delicious cheesy casserole that is the definition of comfort food? This Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole is so simple to make and an instant family favorite for dinner.
Note: We use referral links to products we love.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole in a Slow Cooker
UPDATED with a video from Mikey.
Aunt Lou here.
Sometimes you just need some good ol’ comfort food. This Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole that I adapted from Gooseberry Patch’s 101 Hearty Recipes is a recipe I will definitely be coming to again and again for just that!
Whether it is a rough week, you aren’t feeling good or you have just been running yourself ragged, there are times when you just want some make-me-feel-like-I’m-back-at-momma’s-house food. I was having one of those weeks and was so glad that this Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole was on my list for my $50 Challenge for April (read more about it here).
Ingredients for Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe
1 cup long grain long cooking rice (NOT fast-cooking or minute rice!)
10.5 oz can Cheddar cheese soup
10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup chicken broth
4 cups cooked chicken cubed
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter sliced
1/2 cup onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Notes on Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe
- This recipe is adapted from Gooseberry Patch’s 101 Hearty Recipes
- Make sure you use long-grain, long cooking rice for this. A good way to tell is to look at the cooking instructions on the package. You want the package that tells you to bring the water to a boil and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes, NOT the package that says you can be done in 5 minutes in the microwave.
- Know your slow cooker any time you are cooking rice in a recipe. I can’t tell you enough how important this is! If your crock pot doesn’t cook evenly or cooks too hot or cooks too slow, it can ruin a recipe with rice in it. That is why I used Sir Hamilton (my insulated Hamilton Beach slow cooker). He is a 6-quart slow cooker, so that gives the recipe enough room to spread out. He cooks perfectly and evenly, so I know that I am not going to have hot spots that turn the rice to mush or slower cooking spots that leave me with crunchy rice. This is not a recipe to try out on your new crock. Use your tried and true, favorite crock pot that you know cooks evenly. If you are experienced with your casserole crock, this would be a great recipe for it as well!
- Looking for more recipes? Our Recipe Finder can help you find exactly what you need.
- Check out all our favorite recommendations for cookbooks, slow cookers and low carb essentials in our Amazon Influencer Shop.
- As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly. As a result, your nutritional content depends on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish. The auto-calculation is just an automated estimate and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
- All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline and should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
Save this recipe to your FREE Recipe Box.
On Recipes That Crock we have a way for you to save recipes, recipe collections and meal plans to your own free recipe box. This way you won’t ever lose a recipe. With your free RTC account, you know that your favorite recipes and all the recipes you want to try are always just a click away.
You can register (or login if you are already a user) here: Register/Login Here.
Note: If you don’t see the save button on the recipe card, you need to login.
Learn How to Use Your Recipe Box Here.